The Last Unicorn Author/Screenwriter getting screwed by Saul Zaentz, Inc.

Original Poster
I was at a local SF&F conference this last weekend. The headliners included Neil Gaiman, Gene Wolfe and Peter Beagle, who wrote the Last Unicorn and did the screenplay for the animated movie). This is one of my daughter's favorite movies - It's simply magical.

In listening to Peter Beagle, I was greatly saddened to learn that he has never been paid a dime for the Last Unicorn movie, even though it has sold over 600,000 videos and DVDs, been rented numorous times, and has sold millions in spinoff products. The facts in the case seem rather clear - the British owned company, Saul Zaentz is screwing him. They won't pay him until he sues them, but Peter doesn't have the money to do so yet (the link below tells why).

If interested, the details of the case are listed here:

http://www.conlanpress.com/youcanhelp/

Peter Beagle is truly in need on this and is asking for his fans to help. He is hoping he can get his fans to shame Saul Zaentz into paying Peter (they aren't even arguing anymore that they don't owe him money - they just won't pay him until they are sued).

If you have watched the Last Unicorn and love it as much as I do, or even if you just hate to see screenwriters getting screwed, go to this page to see how you can help:

http://www.conlanpress.com/html/granada_h.html

This is all the more aggrevating to me in that the Last Unicorn DVD is one of the worst pieces of trash in terms of quality of production ever put out. Granada Media, the US arm of Saul Zaentz, couldn't have spent more than an afternoon putting this together. It's shameful that they'd rip him off so bad.

BTW, Peter was wonderful to talk to and listen to. It turns out that a special edition version of the Last Unicorn is in the works - it will be high-quality widescreen (versus the current crappy vhs version DVD), and will have lots of extras from Peter Beagle. Peter also mentioned he really likes rotten tomatoes (his friend and current publisher, Connor Cochran REALLY likes RT), but has never checked out the forums. He did mention he truly hopes that posting this message here on RT and other movie discussion boards will help in generating emails to Saul Zaentz.

It's time for a Crusade, folks! Spread the word to other sites.
May 29, 2006 6:28 PM
0 0
Those bastards!

*grabs banner*
May 29, 2006 6:44 PM
0 0
John Fogerty once did a song called "Zaentz Can't Dance", which was about all the money that Creedence Clearwater Revival never got paid. When Saul threatened lawsuit, Fogerty said that the song was about a pig. So, this is not Saul's first time ripping somebody off.
May 29, 2006 7:37 PM
0 0
dementia13John Fogerty once did a song called "Zaentz Can't Dance", which was about all the money that Creedence Clearwater Revival never got paid. When Saul threatened lawsuit, Fogerty said that the song was about a pig. So, this is not Saul's first time ripping somebody off.
It's kind of crazy for someone like Saul Zaentz, a Billionaire at this point, ripping off the little guy so blatantly though. Then again, I suppose this is how he became a billionaire. Talk about a truly shitty man.
May 29, 2006 8:16 PM
0 0
I was at a local SF&F conference this last weekend. The headliners included Neil Gaiman (wrote Mirror Mask, Sandman graphic novels, etc.), Gene Wolfe (who wrote many things) and Peter Beagle, who wrote the Last Unicorn and did the screenplay for the animated movie). This is one of my daughter's favorite movies - It's simply magical.

In listening to Peter Beagle, I was greatly saddened to learn that he has never been paid a dime for the Last Unicorn movie, even though it has sold over 600,000 videos and DVDs, been rented numorous times, and has sold millions in spinoff products. The facts in the case seem rather clear - the British owned company, Saul Zaentz is screwing him. They won't pay him until he sues them, but Peter doesn't have the money to do so yet (the link below tells why).

If interested, the details of the case are listed here:

http://www.conlanpress.com/youcanhelp/

Peter Beagle is truly in need on this and is asking for his fans to help. He is hoping he can get his fans to shame Saul Zaentz into paying Peter (they aren't even arguing anymore that they don't owe him money - they just won't pay him until they are sued).

If you have watched the Last Unicorn and love it as much as I do, or even if you just hate to see screenwriters getting screwed, go to this page to see how you can help:

http://www.conlanpress.com/html/granada_h.html

This is all the more aggrevating to me in that the Last Unicorn DVD is one of the worst pieces of trash in terms of quality of production ever put out. Granada Media, the US arm of Saul Zaentz, couldn't have spent more than an afternoon putting this together. It's shameful that they'd rip him off so bad.

BTW, Peter was wonderful to talk to and listen to. It turns out that a special edition version of the Last Unicorn is in the works - it will be high-quality widescreen (versus the current crappy vhs version DVD), and will have lots of extras from Peter Beagle. Peter also mentioned he really likes rotten tomatoes (his friend and current publisher, Connor Cochran REALLY likes RT), but has never checked out the forums. He did mention he truly hopes that posting this message here on RT and other movie discussion boards will help in generating emails to Saul Zaentz.

It's time for a Crusade, folks! Please help by emailing the company (via the links above) and spreading the word to other sites.
May 30, 2006 3:57 AM
0 0
[quote]In 1978, Peter wrote the screenplay for the animated LORD OF THE RINGS.[/quote]

Therefore, he owes me money for causing mental anguish and grievous suffering at the hands of that stinker.
May 30, 2006 4:37 AM
0 0
I have to say those bastards too!
May 30, 2006 5:00 AM
0 0