Wirthling's General TV Thread

booze
NimChimpsky
booze
NimChimpskyThe great Jodie Whittaker is the new Doctor. Love it.

I like the pick, but I suspect there will be a lot of griping from the geek fan base and purists. Doctor Who is a man! James Bond is a man, not a woman! There's no chick Sherlock Holmes!?

There is already a lot of griping from misogynists, but unlike James Bond, the Doctor is not, in canon, male or female, and the show has more than laid the groundwork for Time Lords to move between genders and races.

I wonder if this means the end of Bill as a companion. If that's the case, which hasn't been declared either way, I think she got a lovely finish. They would probably have to ramp up Nardole, as the griping about a female Doctor & female companion would be ridiculous. Unless they started getting it on, then it would be sexy..

I mean, given how the season ended, I don't see how she could go on as a companion. It's basically just a version of the same thing that happened to Clara. Plus, given that Chris Chibnall is taking over for Steven Moffat, it makes sense he would get a fresh Doctor/Companion just like Moffat did.
Jul 16, 2017 4:09 PM
0 0
NimChimpsky
booze
NimChimpsky
booze
NimChimpskyThe great Jodie Whittaker is the new Doctor. Love it.

I like the pick, but I suspect there will be a lot of griping from the geek fan base and purists. Doctor Who is a man! James Bond is a man, not a woman! There's no chick Sherlock Holmes!?

There is already a lot of griping from misogynists, but unlike James Bond, the Doctor is not, in canon, male or female, and the show has more than laid the groundwork for Time Lords to move between genders and races.

I wonder if this means the end of Bill as a companion. If that's the case, which hasn't been declared either way, I think she got a lovely finish. They would probably have to ramp up Nardole, as the griping about a female Doctor & female companion would be ridiculous. Unless they started getting it on, then it would be sexy..

I mean, given how the season ended, I don't see how she could go on as a companion. It's basically just a version of the same thing that happened to Clara. Plus, given that Chris Chibnall is taking over for Steven Moffat, it makes sense he would get a fresh Doctor/Companion just like Moffat did.

I'd guess that they'd go for maybe a semi-famous male British stand-up. Personally, I've had enough of Matt Lucas, so maybe someone like Ross Noble, Rhod Gilbert, Bill Bailey or Lee Mack. They wouldn't be known to most outside of the U.K. unless you watch panel comedy shows like Q.I. or Mock the Week, but then I doubt many watched Broadchurch either. When I looked up Whittaker's credits a few minutes ago I saw that she was in Attack the Block, when I saw her in Broadchurch and the episode of Black Mirror she was in I hadn't even made the connection.
Jul 16, 2017 4:24 PM
0 0
Chibnall doesn't really have a pick among remaining Broadchurch cast members that I could see being a good companion. Except Arthur Darville, who played Rory as a companion already.
Jul 16, 2017 4:28 PM
0 0
Almost as bad as the "It can't be a woman!" crowd are the hand-wringing liberals "literally shaking" because it's a white woman and not a woman of color. Ugh both liberals and conservatives hate art.
Jul 16, 2017 5:00 PM
0 0
NimChimpskyAlmost as bad as the "It can't be a woman!" crowd are the hand-wringing liberals "literally shaking" because it's a white woman and not a woman of color. Ugh both liberals and conservatives hate art.

You mean that it's not a gay woman of color who's not even from the U.K., and speaks in her own accent or her own language while the show uses subtitles. Or sign language.
Jul 16, 2017 5:08 PM
0 0
NimChimpskyAlmost as bad as the "It can't be a woman!" crowd are the hand-wringing liberals "literally shaking" because it's a white woman and not a woman of color. Ugh both liberals and conservatives hate art.

The goal of my favorite franchises are to perfectly align with the contours of my world view.
Jul 16, 2017 5:09 PM
0 0
Meow

The goal of my favorite franchises are to perfectly align with the contours of my world view.

Although I am a big proponent of of gender and race blind casting or casting that subverts the expected to do something interesting. Like, a black Bond? There's zero reason he has to be white. He's a spy who once got into a laser fight in space so you buy yourself a lot of room with a history like that. I'd actually love to see a woman play Bond because I think it would be really interesting for that character. What I'm trying to say: I love Bond but most of them are terrible. Anything cool is fine.
Jul 16, 2017 5:13 PM
0 0
I watched the first 4 episodes of the reboot of The Gong Show last night. It's actually kind of throwback silly fun. Mike Myers has risen from the dead to play the host (prosthetic face etc., different name, he's not in the credits anywhere), comic guests such as Will Arnett (the executive producer), Zach Galifianakis, Alison Brie, Ed Helms, Dana Carvey, etc. It's not fantastic, and Myers' character gets tiresome pretty soon, but it does have a weird zaniness to it, and unlike most of the talent shows where they have 5 minutes of some troubled contestant's background, battle with opioid use and so on, here it's just a non-stop parade of freaks, losers and a few who are talented. So even if the talent level is far below America's Got Talent or whatever, here each act is marched on and is off in 2 minutes tops with very little if any backstory filler. Myers' jokes are mostly old-style crude, but there are some good ones.

I have no idea how this even came together. One of the acts, a terrible insult ventriloquist even said to the 3 judges that episode Fred Armisen, Elizabeth Banks and Will Arnett "You must have terrible agents!". It'll probably get cancelled soon, but I think there was only an order of 6 for season one and I'll watch the next two as well. As the host says, "Turn off your brains, it's just for funsies!".

Jul 16, 2017 9:01 PM
0 0
This new Rick and Morty promo is a lovely little mindfuck.

Jul 18, 2017 12:44 PM
0 0
Oh good god this trailer for Rick and Morty is insane.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kHo8OPUKIQ
Jul 19, 2017 4:22 PM
0 0
wirthlingThis new Rick and Morty promo is a lovely little mindfuck.

Shit. Guys I'm grabbing my shoes right now. I deserve this lap.
Jul 19, 2017 4:23 PM
0 0
Benioff and Weiss have announced their next project for HBO, an alternative history where the south successfully seceded from the US and is on the brink of a third civil war.

http://deadline.com/2017/07/hbo-alt-civil-war-drama-series-confederate-david-benioff-db-weiss-game-of-thrones-1202131598/
Jul 19, 2017 9:16 PM
0 0
MeowBenioff and Weiss have announced their next project for HBO, an alternative history where the south successfully seceded from the US and is on the brink of a third civil war.

http://deadline.com/2017/07/hbo-alt-civil-war-drama-series-confederate-david-benioff-db-weiss-game-of-thrones-1202131598/

That sound you're hearing is a million think pieces being written. It's probably gonna be a great show but it's easy to imagine this being extremely cringe-worthy.
Jul 19, 2017 9:30 PM
0 0
Meow
MeowBenioff and Weiss have announced their next project for HBO, an alternative history where the south successfully seceded from the US and is on the brink of a third civil war.

That sound you're hearing is a million think pieces being written. It's probably gonna be a great show but it's easy to imagine this being extremely cringe-worthy.

It happened in a record-setting hour, but there are no more takes on this. I just read one about "what if haiti defeated the confederate" and that means all takes have sold out.
Jul 19, 2017 10:25 PM
0 0
Meow

I immediately envisioned an australian actor with an exaggerated southern accent saying, "I reckon we gonna have tah teach dem yankees a lesson they ain't nevah gonna forget!" Let's hope it's not that.
Jul 19, 2017 10:37 PM
0 0
wirthling
Meow

I immediately envisioned an australian actor with an exaggerated southern accent saying, "I reckon we gonna have tah teach dem yankees a lesson they ain't nevah gonna forget!" Let's hope it's not that.

I'm sorry but worrying about hiring foreign actors was bought by @criscodicksounding8 a half hour ago. Please return it to them.
Jul 19, 2017 10:40 PM
0 0
The Spock/Data on the new Star Trek show can sense imminent death which is some pretty stupid magic shit for Star Trek.
Jul 20, 2017 12:15 AM
0 0
Oh, when I first read about the new D & D show and that it was set in an alternate reality where the confederacy won the civil war, I assumed that slavery still ended anyway but just a little later. I figured the show would be more about an even more divided America in general, not about modern slavery. Are they really going to suppose that institutional slavery would have lasted in America until modern times if the South had won? That sounds stupid and/or unlikely. People in the South suck by-and-large, but c'mon.

ETA: Meh, I suppose maybe if this hypothetical South also burned down its universities and restricted commerce and travel with other nations, maybe they could have made slavery last this long. Still seems like an absurd stretch. If they don't make this seem plausible in the first episode, I'm out.
Jul 20, 2017 11:51 AM
0 0
ej
For those of you who can't wait a few years for Game of Thrones in a re-imagined dystopian American South, may I recommend AMC's Into the Badlands?

Wait, where are you going? Come back! It has kung-fu too!
Jul 20, 2017 12:33 PM
0 0
wirthlingOh, when I first read about the new D & D show and that it was set in an alternate reality where the confederacy won the civil war, I assumed that slavery still ended anyway but just a little later. I figured the show would be more about an even more divided America in general, not about modern slavery. Are they really going to suppose that institutional slavery would have lasted in America until modern times if the South had won? That sounds stupid and/or unlikely. People in the South suck by-and-large, but c'mon.

ETA: Meh, I suppose maybe if this hypothetical South also burned down its universities and restricted commerce and travel with other nations, maybe they could have made slavery last this long. Still seems like an absurd stretch. If they don't make this seem plausible in the first episode, I'm out.

ITT: The Confederacy show is an absurd flight of fancy! Also, the Handmaid's Tale is a chilling look at our immediate future!
Jul 20, 2017 3:23 PM
0 0