Movies » Gravity » Discussion Forum » Gravity Plot Hole

Gravity Plot Hole

[Avatar]
(plot spoiler)So I just finished watching Gravity and I liked it. The story had more action on than I thought it would, the visuals were worth seeing in a theater, and George Clooney did an excellent job at playing George Clooney. Which makes me ask the question, why did George have to die? What was pulling him and Sandra Bullock away from the satellite once they were attached to it? And why did Bullock suddenly start to float back to the satellite once Clooney unhooked himself? This movie is not spoiled by this inconsistency but I would have preferred it if Clooney had died in a more realistic way since the film's premise is centered on being believable.
Nov 9 - 16:29 PM
[Avatar]
john smith wrote:What was pulling him and Sandra Bullock away from the satellite once they were attached to it? And why did Bullock suddenly start to float back to the satellite once Clooney unhooked himself? This movie is not spoiled by this inconsistency but I would have preferred it if Clooney had died in a more realistic way since the film's premise is centered on being believable.

OK, you didn't know what was pulling Clooney away from Bullock and you didn't know why she suddenly started to float back to the satellite once he unhooked himself, so how do you know what happened wasn't realistic?
Nov 9 - 19:20 PM
[Avatar]
I actually think this is reasonably plausible...unlike a few other things in the movie that I am wondering if they would be true.. (fire extinguisher anyone?)
I believe simply a case of rope pulling. If two people are pulling on either side of a rope, and you suddenly cut the rope, both of them will fall on their respective backside. I think it is the same idea here, both Bullock and Clooney "pull" at each end of the rope, so when Good Ol' georgie detach himself, they both go flying backwards, so towards the Spaceship for bullock and towards space for George...
That's my understanding of it anyway . Or maybe I got that wrong?
Nov 13 - 02:26 AM
[Avatar]
john smith wrote:(plot spoiler)So I just finished watching Gravity and I liked it. The story had more action on than I thought it would, the visuals were worth seeing in a theater, and George Clooney did an excellent job at playing George Clooney. Which makes me ask the question, why did George have to die? What was pulling him and Sandra Bullock away from the satellite once they were attached to it? And why did Bullock suddenly start to float back to the satellite once Clooney unhooked himself? This movie is not spoiled by this inconsistency but I would have preferred it if Clooney had died in a more realistic way since the film's premise is centered on being believable.

You're right, it wasn't realistic. The parachute cords would have eventually absorbed the momentum and they would have come to a stop. Alternatively, Sandra could have tugged the tether ever so lightly in her direction and George would've stopped, it's space! If she tugged a bit harder he would have moved in her direction. I wouldn't say it's a plot hole and I must say I didn't notice it while watching but thinking about it afterwards has annoyed me a little. Should have, as you said, killed him in a more realistic way.
This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 13 - 13:47 PM
Nov 13 - 13:46 PM
[Avatar]
I liked the movie. I'd have liked it 10 times more if I had never learned physics.
The fire extinguisher, though, was pretty accurate. Unless space-use extinguishers with minimal recoil exist? That was obviously not one of them.
Nov 30 - 07:45 AM
[Avatar]
john smith wrote:(plot spoiler)So I just finished watching Gravity and I liked it. The story had more action on than I thought it would, the visuals were worth seeing in a theater, and George Clooney did an excellent job at playing George Clooney. Which makes me ask the question, why did George have to die? What was pulling him and Sandra Bullock away from the satellite once they were attached to it? And why did Bullock suddenly start to float back to the satellite once Clooney unhooked himself? This movie is not spoiled by this inconsistency but I would have preferred it if Clooney had died in a more realistic way since the film's premise is centered on being believable.

The parachute cord Bullock was attached to was probably elastic. Clooney's momentum was pulling in the opposite direction. The cord on sandra was like a weakly knotted shoe lace, it was never going to stretch, only loosen
Dec 15 - 13:46 PM
[Avatar]
I just watched it and I found myself frowning and scratching my head at that same spot. I think that the IDEA they were trying to sell, was that his momentum was continuing to pull him away from her, despite the fact that her leg was caught in the rope, and Clooney could see it unraveling because of his added pull.

The main problem with this, is that at some point they came to a complete stop. Once they're at a stop, there would be NO additional pull in empty space. They would just both be floating there. At that point he could have given a gentle tug, to pull himself back toward the ship. But for SOME reason, even after they stopped, he was being "pulled" with a force great enough to unravel the parachute cord from her boot.

Furthermore, the whole moral of the story, if you will, is about having the will to go on! To live! Where was HIS will to live, during his little speech about how she'll be fine? He went ahead and took a 4 count to look at his carabiner before he let it go! That whole time he could have pulled himself forward.

Very much a stretch I think, but they had to find a way to make him go away so he could come back as friendly ol' vodka swiggin' advice givin' ghost of Clooney and save the day! An awesome, awesome film.
This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at Dec 29 - 10:55 AM
Dec 29 - 10:38 AM
[Avatar]
Can't help thinking that persons in space would be better trained. As we are in scuba diving . Knowing how to deal with the what if. And the mass weight of a person. A twitch of the finger could have pulled George in. if it was real. As your weightless. All a bit fast, and OTT, and not thought through properly.
Jan 3 - 19:35 PM
[Avatar]
Sorry , got to ad, As this film has to many bugs in it. If this was for real, And she was going to put out the fire, Would she not fist to lock down and pump the air our, Instead of using a fire extinguisher , Eat you heart out WALL,E

And as for breathing and mind over matter, When I free dive, I use all my air till no more , But I don't hyper ventilate after, Not for that amount for sure. lack of research, Wish i had the money to make a movie. Like to see the making of this, or be there for another adventure. The colitions from the debris was good.
Jan 3 - 19:53 PM
Help | About | Jobs | Critics Submission | API | Licensing | Mobile
forum.rottentomatoes.com - web121.flixster.com